Hill's Seven Steps to Self-Confidence:
- I know that I have the ability to accomplish all that I undertake. I know that to succeed, I have only to establish this belief in myself and follow it with vigorous, aggressive action. I will establish it.(Note: It's important to make every day of your freelance career a success. Here, Hill is reinforcing the importance of believing in yourself.)
- I realize that my thoughts eventually reproduce themselves in material form and substance and become real in the physical state. Therefore, I will concentrate upon the daily task of thinking of the person I intend to be and of drawing a mental picture of this person and of transforming this picture into reality.(Note: Here, Hill says to describe in detail your "chief aim" or the life work you have selected. For example, if you're a web writer, you might say, "My goal is to boost the profits of my clients by writing effective and persuasive web copy while offering them strategic marketing guidance.")
- I am studying with the firm intention of mastering the fundamental principles through which I may attract to me the desirable things of life. Through this study, I am becoming more self-reliant and more cheerful. I am developing more sympathy for my fellow man, and I am becoming stronger, both mentally and physically. I am learning to smile that smile that plays upon the heart as well as on the lips.(Note: For writers, mastering our craft is an ongoing journey. That journey is a lot easier if you do so with a smile on your face.)
- I am mastering and overpowering the habit of starting something that I do not finish. From this time forward, I will first plan all that I wish to do, making a clear mental picture of it, and then I will let nothing interfere with my plans until I have developed them into realities.(Note: A simple but sometimes hard lesson to follow: make plans and don't give up until you've accomplished your goal. For anyone who wants success in life, this is critical.)
- I have clearly mapped out and planned the work that I intend to follow for the ensuing five years. I have set a price upon my services for each of the five years, a price that I intend to command through strict application of the principle of efficient, satisfactory service!(Note: What do you want to be doing five years from now? Will you be a web writer? Working on your third book? Coaching other writers? Plan out where you want to be and how much money you want to make over the next five or 10 years.)
- I fully realize that genuine success will come only through strict application of the "Golden Rule" principles. I will, therefore, engage in no transaction which does not benefit alike all who participate in it. I will succeed by attracting to me the forces that I wish to use. I will induce others to serve me because of my willingness to serve them. I will gain the friendship of my fellow men because of my kindness and my willingness to be a friend. I will eliminate from my mind fear by developing in its place courage. I will eliminate skepticism by developing faith. I will eliminate hatred and cynicism by developing love for humanity.(Note: Treat others [clients, colleagues, fellow writers, and freelancers] as you want to be treated yourself.)
- I will learn to stand upon my feet and express myself in clear, concise, and simple language, and to speak with force and enthusiasm, in a matter that will carry conviction. I will cause others to become interested in me, because I will first become interested in them. I will eliminate selfishness and develop in its place the spirit of service.(Note: Speak with clarity and enthusiasm when you talk to prospects, clients, and other copywriters. Ask questions and listen. Take a genuine interest in helping others.
Article by: John Wood.