The television show I was watching last night was punctuated by some pretty crazy ads. I saw flying cars and a talking toilet.
To judge from those ads, you might think that you need to be a creative advertising genius to get your customers to buy anything from you. Not so. These classic approaches can get your message across simply, without breaking your advertising budget:
- Target the competition by giving facts about why your product or service works better, costs less, or has other basic advantages.
- Just show your product attractively. (This doesn’t work if you have an ugly product.)
- Showcase your brand. Just remind your customer about the positive attributes of your brand while you display your product.
- Use testimonials from satisfied customers.
- Have a celebrity or expert endorse your product.
- Simply remind customers to use your product if they have not been doing so lately. Sometimes they forget that you are there.
- Provide a toll-free number to make it easy for customers to make an impulsive decision to contact you.
- Give a slice of life by showing people using your product in real-life situations.
- Offer discounts, gifts or special promotions.
It’s all simple stuff, but these days simplicity can make you stand out from the advertising clutter. I think that most people are getting a little tired of talking toilets and flying cars anyhow. Aren’t you?
Article by: Donald Sexton, PhD